Consumer Rights: Who Should You Turn to if You Have Problems with Faulty Goods?

If you have a problem with goods or services that you have paid for, you may wish to know what your rights are. From faulty or counterfeit goods to poor service and dangerous contractors, as a consumer, you are protected by the English law.

The key piece of legislation is The Consumer Rights Act 2015, which has replaced several pieces of old law.

It states that any goods purchased must be of satisfactory quality (not damaged or faulty). ‘Satisfactory’ in this sense means that a reasonable person would accept the goods in the circumstances. If the items are high-end luxury items, the standard will be higher than budget, low-cost items.

The goods must be fit for the purpose that they are supplied for, as well as any purpose agreed on between you and the seller. The goods must be as described by the seller.

Any claims made under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer and not against the manufacturer.

You will be entitled to a full refund if the goods do not meet all of the above requirements, but claims must be made within 30 days from the date that you take ownership of the item. After 30 days the retailer is not obliged to offer a full refund but may offer another resolution, in the form of repairing or replacing the item.

If you find a fault in the product within the first six months of ownership, unless the retailer can prove otherwise, the Act assumes that there was a problem with the goods before you purchased it.

After six months, it is up to the purchaser to prove that the goods were faulty before purchase.

Overall there is a six years limitation period.  You are entitled to make a claim within the limitation time period against a retailer who refuses to replace or repair faulty goods.


Have a Question?

If you are affected by the issues raised in this article or have a legal query. You can now ask our experienced lawyers any legal question absolutely free.

Ask Now


Your Partner in the legal world!

This article is written by our legal content writer James Chalkley (LLB. LLM.). You can seek further advice from James by booking an appointment with him.

Scroll to Top