Forms Under Divorce

D183 - About Divorce

What is the difference between a divorce and a dissolution?
A divorce is a way to end a marriage. A dissolution is a way to end the civil partnership of a same sex couple.
How do I get a divorce/dissolution?
By filling in an application form, called a divorce/dissolution/(judicial) separation petition, and sending it to your nearest court that deals with divorce/civil partnership matters.
You can find the full list of courts, their facilities and information about what type of work they do, online at and click the link for further information.

D8 - Application for Divorce

You can only make an application for divorce or dissolution if you have been in your marriage or civil partnership for at least one year. This does not apply to (judicial) separation applications. The information you give will be used as evidence by the court to decide if you are entitled to legally end your marriage or civil partnership or to get a (judicial) separation order from your partner. A copy of this form will be sent to your spouse/civil partner by the court. If there are exceptional reasons why your application should be dealt with urgently then please set those reasons out in a covering letter.

EX160 - Apply for help with fees

Use this form to apply for financial help with a court or tribunal fee: you may not have to pay a fee, or you may get some money off.

D84 - Application for a decree nisi

You can apply for a decree nisi if your husband or wife doesn’t defend your divorce petition.

A decree nisi is a document that says that the court doesn’t see any reason why you can’t divorce.

If your husband or wife doesn’t agree to the divorce, you can still apply for a decree nisi. However, you’ll have to go to a court hearing to discuss the case, where a judge will decide whether to grant you a decree nisi.

D185 - Divorce and Children Advice

Before you fill this form, please read leaflets D183 – About divorce/dissolution and D184 – I want to get a divorce/dissolution – what do I do?

D187 - I have a decree nisi conditional order

The court will send you and the respondent (and any named co-respondent) form D29 (decree nisi) or D529 (conditional order).
Form D29/D529 tells you that this is not the decree absolute/final order. It also tells you when you can apply for your decree absolute/final order.
If you asked that the respondent (or any named co-respondent) pay the cost of your divorce/dissolution and the court agreed, this will be shown on a separate order.
A copy will also be sent to the respondent (and any named co-respondent).
You may be able to get free legal advice. Go online at for further information and click the link below.

D186 - Respondent has replied to my petition

Check the answer the respondent (and any co-respondent) has given to the question ‘Do you intend to defend the case?’.
If the answer is ‘No’ you can ask the court to consider whether you have grounds for a divorce/dissolution.
This is called ‘applying for a decree nisi/conditional order’. A decree nisi is a document that says that the court doesn’t see any reason why you can’t divorce. For a couple ending a civil partnership, the first stage of the divorce is called ‘the conditional order’.
If you have children, make sure you read leaflet CB7 Guide for separated parents: children and the family courts as well as this leaflet.
Scroll to Top